I REFER to the National Environment Agency's (NEA) response ('NEA smokes out 1,700 in five months', June 12) to Mr Tang Chai Hong's letter ('More manpower to enforce smoking ban', June 7).
I am always amused when government officers pat themselves on the back over a job well done, supported by seemingly impressive statistics.
On further analysis, what do these numbers show?
The '1,700' figure translates to fewer than 350 smokers caught a month, which means that only about 11 are booked per day.
In view of the fact that there are tens of thousands of bus stops, hawker centres and coffee shops, is this effective enforcement?
Given the statistic quoted by Mr Tang, that there are 330 NEA public health inspectors, it suggests that, on average, an officer books only one smoker a month.
I strongly agree with Mr Tang that the NEA should consider outsourcing enforcement to third parties.
Let's face it: there's no other way to effectively stamp out inconsiderate smoking.
June 20, 2008 Friday
~
This is one of the article which caught my eye some time back. It's rather interesting how they enforce laws. From what i have seen, as my colleague is one of the constant offenders (i mean as in, smoking at bus stop, smoking at coffeeshops, etc). From the day 1 which the law rule have been passed till now. I think most of the smokers just treat the law as rubbish ba. Since i can always see people smoking at bus stops, no matter where i take. Or maybe i am just unlucky to encounter them.